Saturday 8 February 2014

A Little Bit Of Paper, & A Little Bit Of Glue


Hi!
For this week's assignment, we had to interview any person (other than any family member) who is a professional. I chose to interview my neighbour, Mrs, Laxmi Pillai, an entrepreneur who started a small venture 5 years ago. Let's find out more..


1. Could you give me a quick introduction of yourself?
Hi. I am Laxmi Pillai. I am 39 years old and I started a small business called Paper Wonderz about 5 years ago. I basically make cards, photo frames, bookmarks, notebooks, etc. 

Mrs. Laxmi Pillai, the woman behind Paper Wonderz


2. So, how did you start this project? What triggered your interest?

    I have always been interested in arts and crafts. Papers and crafts fascinate me! Its my favourite hobby. I have also pursued Interior Design after my college. I always used to help my kids out with their projects. I think that's what got me started. 

3. When did you decide to convert this hobby into a small business? And do you plan to expand?

    I started making these products about 5 years ago, but I actually started selling them only a year after I began making them. I have had no formal training for this. 
    I am quite happy with the size of my business right now. I don't think I will expand. 

4. What kind of raw materials do you use for making your novelty products? 

    I use a variety of materials. Acid free papers, stamps, ink pads, handmade papers, and other usual items like Fevicol, glue-sticks, scissors, etc. 

5. That sounds interesting! Do you get all these materials locally? 

    I actually get them shipped from the USA. Stuff like acid free papers, stamps, etc, I order them online, from a U.S based website. Other materials I get from Bombay itself. 

6. Could you enlist for me all the products that you make?

    Ya sure! I make notepads, notepads with magnets (for fridges), scrapbooks, mini-photo albums, post-it holders, cards, bookmarks, and envelopes. 

Purse cards
Photo frame
Jot-books

7. Where all do you sell your products? And how has the response been?

     Usually at exhibitions. I have my own stall from where I make the sales. I have done quite a few exhibitions till date - World Trade Centre, Blue Sea in Worli, Ville Parle, Urban Haat and CBD Agro Society in Belapur.
I am very happy to say that people love my products! I don't really want to get into the sales figures and all, but there has been tremendously positive response about my products. I am also launching a new set of products, specially for Valentine's Day!


8. Okay Aunty, last question! What is your most favourite product to make?

     I'd have to say the cards! I can't pick one type of card though. The never ending cards, gift-box cards, purse cards, popsicle cards, basically, all of them!   


Cute little purse cards

Gift-box cards!

Popsicle cards!
Never-ending card

This tiny purse opens up into a big card. Looks can be deceiving eh?


Get your personalized scrapbooks today!

Contact Mrs. Laxmi Pillai at - 
Paper Wonderz, The Craft Studio
Phone: 9920156460
email id: paperwonderz@gmail.com


Photo credits: Govind Pillai (Follow his amazing work on http://instagram.com/govind_pillai)








No comments:

Post a Comment